Followers

24 August 2014

Slowly getting back into the project.

I haven't done any heavy work on the Vette since the it came home. I went through most of the parts to re-familiarize myself with them and get back into focus on the project. Most of want I've done is feel good work - enjoying having the Vette back with the body done and painted - mostly cosmetic stuff.
 
I ordered one American Racing Equipment Torque Thrust Original (TT-O) in 17x8 to test fit. I always wanted to run the TT-O in 15x8 but they don't fit due to lack of clearance with the calipers. They were old school mags for drum brake muscle cars after all. Well ARE came out with them in 17x8 and they are designed to clear the calipers. The test fit worked, I ordered three more and a set of Nitto 555 in 255/50/17. Then I got a set of spinners from EBay and installed them. I have a set of red crossed flag decals for the spinners on order.


 
 
Now to sell the wheels and tires I had on it. I did sell the gold honey comb GTA rims and tires. I'm pondering whether to keep the stock rally wheels. I got a set of C5 ZO-6 calipers and rotors from the painter. They need 17" rims to run on a C3. 17" ers are better for the suspension system that's on the Vette so I might as well run the ZO-6 brakes and get rid of the rallys.
 
 
I cleaned and installed the CORVETTE letters on the rear of the car. Cosmetically, they're a little rough, but keeping a few original items on the car may be nice. I also had two crossed flag emblems for the gas door. I stripped the paint, used Testors enamel modeling paint to repaint them and installed one of them.
 
Faded, old paint.

After paint stripper.


Repainting in progress.

Finished.


 

My friend, Todd, came over yesterday in his '82 Collector Edition and helped me remove the hood. My first priority for major work is to work in the engine compartment and every thing else I can do with the hood off. These are:

1. Clean and paint the fender wells.
2. Remove and rework the water pump and other accessories. I'll explain the why as I post on each task. Besides, it will give me more room to paint the fender wells.
3. Install the headlight mechanisms. I'll be replacing the factory pneumatic system with electric motors.
4. Rivet in/on all the metal reinforcement plates in various places in/on the front clip that the paint shop guys "forgot" to do. Don't ask - I'm too pissed to talk about it.....
Etc., etc., etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment