Followers

21 August 2012

MAJOR MILESTONE ACHIEVED!!!!!




This is the first time the Vette has moved under its own power since before I got it. Remember, it didn't have a motor when I bought it in March of 2007. I spent today adjusting the clutch, re-bleeding the brakes, adjusting the e-brakes again, filling the power steering fluid and bleeding the system. The speedo and tach are sitting loose on the windshield frame and the gauge cluster is sitting loose on the console floor. The radiator is firmly clamped to the frame. Now I can move it around and complete all systems checks while the front clip is off. Next is more installation, fabrication, assembly, fiberglass repair, paint stripping, sanding, painting, etc. Not much, huh? BTW, you really need to hear that exhaust live. It is soo sweet.

Last week was exciting. I had an engine compartment fire. Apparently, whoever it was at the vendor that assembled the new repro engine/headlight harness took a short cut. I was using a branch ground wire to ground the fan relay bracket during my test starts. It got hot and must have been crossed over a power wire and the insulation and electrical tape flamed up. Well, the branch ground was simply wrapped, not soldered or crimped, around the main ground wire inside the wire bundle, worked loose, got hot and, well....smoke, smell, and flames are a good indicator you have a fire problem. I managed to douse the flames w/o having to use a fire extinguisher. Damage was minimal and the effort to repair the damage to the harness is minimal, a little splicing and taping.

I just watched the first video again.....hmmm, kinda looks like a street rod, doesn't it! I wonder....chrome the radiator bracket, cycle fenders over the front wheels.....naaah!!

Stand by for more....

8 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Will you please post a link to your Blog at The Corvette Community? Our members will appreciate it.
    Members include: Corvette Owners, Experts, Enthusiasts, Racers, Collectors, Clubs and Dealers.
    It's easy to do, just cut and paste the link and it automatically links back to your website. You can also add Photos, Videos, Articles and Classifieds if you like.
    Email me if you need any help or would like me to do it for you.
    Please feel free to share as often and as much as you like.
    The Corvette Community: http://www.vorts.com/corvette/
    I hope you consider sharing with us.
    Thank you,
    James Kaufman, Editor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any progress since August? I've been checking regularly as I am following behind you with my '73 Coupe. My frame came back from sandblasting and painting, and I am putting on the VBP suspension with the composite front and rear springs, tubular front control arms, etc. I have the Tremec TKO 600 5 speed, and originally was looking at a 502 crate engine in place of my L-82, but have since decided on the LS engine platform. I certainly know what you mean about starting in one direction and then going in another. I also know about the garage and the wife being "locked" out due to the body, frame and other boxes of parts taking up all the space and leaving her vehicle out in the cold... I promised her that she would have her garage bay back by winter (it was 7 degrees here last night and she asked me rather pointedly "Winter of what year?")
    Anyway, just wanted to encourage you to write up your fine work, and as I've said before, for me, your blog is very important and I appreciate the time and effort it takes to not only put the car back together, but then to document those efforts with photos/video and text. Again, keep up the good work, I know it "ain't easy". - JKF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous,

    Thanks for following my blog. It looks like you've pretty much done the same drive train and suspension that I have now. Did you get the offset trailing arms from VBP? I definetely owe you guys updates. I've had a lot of distractions this past year, but plan to get going full bore on the Vette this winter and spring. I'll explain my distractions in a new post.

    Thanks,
    Carl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carl -

    Unfortunately I did not go with the off-set trailing arms back in 2000 or so when I sent mine out for a simple "rebuild" that started off this project. I bought my 1973 Corvette in 1975 and have had it ever since. I've got parts (Tremec trans among others) that went out of warranty and have been sitting "new" in boxes for years as I got together a piece here and there while trying to put this project together a little at a time. With kids, job and family, it is a matter of both "time and nickels" as they say. Seeing your build project has helped alot and has been motivational, particularly the personal notes as I can identify with those as well. I will watch for your updates and try to keep moving ahead to "catch up" with you. I am putting on the front spindles, new backing plates, rotors and calipers over the next few weeks as well as finishing up with the front and rear sway bars. I need to tackle the fuel system after that.

    Thanks for a very interesting story, which is also very helpful.

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I linked you to my blog at http://vetteman74.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeff,

    Thanks. I'm flattered. That's a great blog with some nice looking rides. I'll be home in May and plan to get going full bore to finish the project this summer.

    Carl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carl -
    Had a question about your oil pan on the LS2. Did you use your stock Corvette pan with the VBP rack-attack or go to GM musclecar pan or ?? Also did the speedhound adapters put you in the same location as the stock engine?

    Haven't heard from you in awhile and wanted to say, "We all miss your updates !!"

    - JKF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JKF,

      I used the stock Corvette oil pan that was on the '07 C6 motor. It fits perfectly with the VBP Rack Attack steering kit. The only issue I had were the two hydraulic tubes than run along the top of the VBP assembly. I simply hand bent them out of the way.

      Carl

      Delete