Followers

17 June 2011

Exhausting Work



I know it doesn't look like much progress since the last engine start video...I did take a long break during the winter, after all!!  After fretting about the exhaust system; deciding to install factory side pipes, selling the headers I had, finding out the fine state of CT won't register my car since the only year for C3s with factory side pipes was '69 (fortunately, I had not sold the MagnaFlow exhaust system I had), and deciding to go with headers again.  Phew!! I have got to get this thing done...I have too much time to think and change plans.

Anyway, the Melrose headers were supposedly designed to mate up with the factory exhaust. Well, they don't.  As you can see in the pix, they hang way low and out board of where the factory pipes would normally be. On the C3s the exhaust pipes run through two holes in the tranny cross member on either side of the tranny mount bracket.  In fact, the tranny mount and the exhaust bracket share the same mounting holes. 

This caused quite a dilemma since I had to figure out a way to fabricate the connection between the headers and the exhaust pipe.  It called for two 45 deg bends to go from the header collector to the pipes in the cross member, basically an ess bend going up from the collector and inboard toward the center of the cross member.  The dilemma was that I don't have access to a local shop that can mandrel bend.  Eventually, I found a vendor on EBay that provided two 2 1/2" pipes per side.  Steve Makos, the manager of the local Midas shop, worked with me by expanding the pipes on one end to 3" to fit the collector and the other end to fit over the other 2 1/2" pipe.  I had to cut each pipe to custom lengths to fab the connector pipe.  The pix below the video will show all this. 

Since I went to all the trouble, I JUST had to hear the new exhaust system.  The first engine start video in an earlier post was with the factory manifolds only - no exhaust.  In this video I have the Caddy CTS-V dbw pedal installed in the car and connected to the computer (ECM).  The ECM and the temp ignition switch are sitting on the little table between the car and the chassis. It sounds real nice.  (the ticking at the beginning of the vid is a vent fan in the garage)


                                            


The gap between the header collector and the exhaust pipe at the cross member.


Two elbows used to form the new exhaust pipe.

Fitting, cutting.
                        
...and installed for mock up.  Steve Makos at the local Midas shop expanded the ends for me, in spite of all the measure once - cut twice trips I took to his shop.  Couldn't a done it with out him.  Yesterday I practiced welding on scrap pieces of pipe and today I tacked the two pieces and pulled them to weld and paint.  BTW, my very first weld job - they looked like crap, but I ground them to look passable. This pic shows them BEFORE my weld job.

The MagnaFlow muffs.  The twin pipes will fit in the stock exhaust ports.



1 comment:

  1. Awesome work Clint thank you so much for taking pics and doing such detailed step by step instructions. Custom Made Performance Exhaust Systems

    ReplyDelete